Thursday, March 20, 2014

Garifuna History

HISTORY
The Garifunas were shipwrecked African slaves that collected on the island of St.Vincent. they developed a new culture and language witch was a mash-up of the indiginous caribbeans, west African and French. The English tried to gain control for about 100 years. They finally succeeded in 1796 and deported the surviving Garifunas to the coastal Honduran town of Trujillo. Then over time they spread along the Caribbean coast and one of the places that they collected is the town I have been staying in for the last few days called Livingston. 

CULTURE
(later)

2 comments:

Wanona said...

Thanks for this information. I will do more research on them as you have peaked my curiousity. Hope you had a good day today!

Darren Benson (Emerald Nook JEDI) said...

I remember that the language was different but I didn't remember the details. That is cool.