Thursday, April 17, 2014

Palenque, Yaxchilan and Bonampak

I will add more photos when I get home. We ended up taking more photos with the camera than with my phone and there is no place in the iPad Air to stick the cameras card to download all the photos. Sorry.

I will also write more soon... Im just recovering from my second bout of Montezuma's revenge :-(

Palenque had a very similar feel to Tikal, but was 30 times smaller. There was a palace that probably took up a whole football field. It was originally just where the emperor lived but as need grew they started to add different governmental areas to it. 

It was soooo humid and soooo hot. It was about 90F at 11:00am and it rose from there. When you took a breath in you could literally feel mist being sucked into your mouth. Thank goodness we got there early and left before noon!

Living quarters.


Ancient water system of big stone pipes.
Our mattress at our hotel sat on a big, purple, cement matress frame. (:
Here is the eclipse that probably no one in Bellingham saw due to the clouds (:
This is at Yaxchilan. Here you can clearly see the imprint on the altar, that would fill with blood when the head of the sacrifice was placed in the middle.

This building was extraordinary, it is justly nicknamed the labyrinth. Within the stucture is a maze that once entered you cannot see your hand infront of your face.
The limestone freezes are truly spectacular, how can they make them and not crack it in half?

The last day in the town of Palenque it rained like a carwash, I can't remember ever seeing that much rain with my own eyes!

This is a new veggie we discovered called uiskjil. I don't love it or hate it, but they put it in everything as a filler food.

All the pics are on my digital camera I can't show you right now but i will when I get back. 
We got a chance to see the only known Mayan pianting still in existance. I felt honored to be able to see these. On some places it looked like people had scratched the faces off of some of the paintings. It makes me physically sick to think that someone would do that.
Some people maintaining the paintings cleaned them with kerosene (liter fluid) which brought out the colors, but is now eating away at the paint and limestone. 
Sorry to leave on a sad note, but keep checking for more blogs. (:

1 comment:

Wanona said...

Planque, Bon.... Etc
These are wonderful stories and pictures. I can't believe that you hadn't seen rain like what you saw , coming from Bellingham. ;).
I have seen the fruit/veggie? But never tasted it. I am glad you are willing to try new, diff things. The purple bed frame with a mattress sounds rather cool and hard at the same time. The sacrifice alter sounds gruesome but understand it was part of the culture. What interesting things you are learning. Love you!