Friday, April 25, 2014

Templo Mayor and Mexico City 1

Going to Mexico City was a bit intimidating, and i told my self that when i got there i would realize it was not as ominous as i thought... nope. Coming in on the bus first seeing the outskirts it was like a small poor towns in guatemala, made up of cinder blocks and tin roofs, but it streched for miles. As we went deeper into the city there were large, worn, cement buildings covered from head to toe in graffiti. it looked extremely sketchy, but I remember the people not fitting in. They were walking around looking perfectly decent. Then when we reached the historical part of town it was too dark to really see.

While we were in the taxi, right before we got to the hostel, we realized...uh-oh, where is my bag? I finally convinced my mom to go back. We dropped our stuff off at the hostel and then we got another taxi and went back. There was a lot of trouble getting it because my mom threw awway our ticket before we left, but we finally got my bag back, and got to bed at 11:00-12:00.

In the morning I saw the area out side in the light and it is in reality quite nice. I also feel very safe due to the fact that there are 3-10 police officers on every side of every block and about 50 soldiers with assault rifles in the historical center. However, we are trying to travel smartly by not having jewelry or bags or too nice of clothes when we go out.  

Summary of Mexico City: It was built on a lake on top of an Aztec city after the Spanish conquered it. This why the city (or a lot of the old, heavy buildings are sinking. The Aztec temple was demolished by the Spaniards and they built atop of it what today is the largest cathedral in all of the Americas.


3 comments:

Darren Benson (Emerald Nook JEDI) said...

Amazing pictures. Amazing history too.

Wanona said...

Loved your description of the bus ride into Mexico City. Very good story. I could in vision it so well.
Glad you got your bag back!! I would say you are lucky!!

Darren Benson (Emerald Nook JEDI) said...

What's happening now